Sunday 10 October 2010

Video reflection 5: Design for life

Plausibly the most encouraging series which defines a lifestyle I should learn to be used to. I wouldn’t say design for life is the complete definition of industrial design as there is no finite answer in this subjective and creative area but it really puts me in place in answering some experiences in my short first year in university. Students in there are constantly challenged; a journey which seems can only get worse. Not only do I find some reflection of my experiences in the video I’ve conceived the philosophy of one of the world’s most renown designer Philippe Starck and how he developed what he revolves around.

The emphasis on; democratic, for everyone, sustainable, ecological and enjoyable sounds like the entirety of design. But I learn that it is the vibe, the point which separates us from artists. We as designers don’t create our own logic but in fact pivot our minds about the logic which benefits society. Starck mentioned that designers possess the power to make change through everything which surrounds one. Indeed e a very dewy definition of power but does just the tick to motivate me and my choice to be here.

Democratic design would be to prevent slavery or its equivalent, as designers have responsibility to not harm any lives by its process, was far thinking for me but make sense as part of our “helping” part of design. Ecological, the given fact to be neither wasteful nor harmful; to me is no news but is a challenge to be reminded. To be used by everyone also celebrates democracy and successful design as doing more with less can prevent ones which Starck believes shouldn’t exist. I very much agreed with the IPod casing example; why not design the iPod so it doesn’t require a case? Many more passionate beliefs construct clarity of good design from this series, setting a rarely seen criterion for design.

With no discouragement of all the put downs and criticism all design students go through, I hope I can keep these key ideas which have been proven to improve our society with me in every decision I make in the years to come. I also hope to grasp the desires of consumers who don’t yet know what they truly want; this I hope animates and adds more life to a world which was materialistic and function driven.

No comments:

Post a Comment